Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Current Events in the Old Folks Home

As a sales tool, an activity calendar crammed full of events for the residents is invaluable.  Prospective clients passing by think "How busy life here would be.  Just look at this schedule."

The secret is, the management fills the schedule all right, but with imaginary activities.  Visit the activity room at the appointed time for "UNO CARD GAME", and you'll be alone.  Solitaire Uno is no fun. Wil and Mac may not show up for their gig.  Nor the Blue Grass Silver. 

Thank goodness for George who comes weekly and plays the piano for two and half hours.  Larry comes monthly and plays his electronic keyboard.  The Menonite Choir comes regularly.  We love our volunteers.

But "current events"?  The director announces "Me and Anthony (her eleven year old son) will read the newspaper to you."  Whoopee. How about having the mayor or the city council person come and tell us about local politics.  How about a college professor to tell how the new State Universtiy in town is going to choose it's professors?  How about a history of the Space Program?  What if a spokesman for NASA answered our questions, like "Is there anyone living in the ICC space station right now? How did they get there?" I'd like to know.

Whee, a miniature horse is coming tomorrow on pet visitation day..  "Invite your family and friends" says the activity director. 

Gosh, I hope the Senior Pet Dog doesn't mount the miniature horse.  That might be more activity than would fit into the calendar..

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is something I never really thought about before. Figuring activities were covered. I need to send my cousin to you. She's always coming up with fun things to do at her folks home. I love Uno, haven't played in years. ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

Well that is frustrating!  They should have some good stuff for you...sheesh!

Be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

ps...I do think you are probably good at finding your own fun though - God Bless!

Anonymous said...

I can't understand why they would have activities listed and then not have actual directors or musicians show up for them.  Shame shame.  You would never know what was going to be on or off that day.  I would hate that.  How boring your day must be with those mundane activities also.  

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink  

Anonymous said...

Just pray that if he does mount the horse there won't be any kids!  I wonder why your activities director doesn't try to get like an art class or something and during the holidays have church singing groups or choruses come in.  I mean for crying out loud they could at least do that. -Dawn-

Anonymous said...

Giggle.giggle; re: miniature horse & pet dog.
Sylvia xx

Anonymous said...

How much of the nonexistence is noshows by staff or visitors, and how much is lack of participants?  Is it a vicious cycle in that respect--not participants because they assume nothing will happen if they show up? - Karen

Anonymous said...

Why don't you write an article for the paper something like this. I don't mean putting the home down (may not go over well) but suggesting. Maybe someone will take the hint. Let them know that just because you are in an old folks home (as you call it) that your brain is not gone. Keep stirring them up Chuck. Paula

Anonymous said...

Ha! At least you have a sense of humor about it. I really hope things improve soon.

Anonymous said...

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN. I USE TO WORK IN A LIVING ASSISTANT HOME AND THEY HAD THIS BOARD WHERE THEY POSTED ACTIVITIES. IT LOOKED FULL BUT IT WAS FULL OF NOTHING. I OFTEN WONDERED WHY THEY EVEN BOTHERED WE ALL KNEW IT MEANT NOTHING. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS AN ACTIVITY DIRECTOR IN A HOME IN NEW YORK AND SHE DOES THE GREATEST THINGS WITH HER PEOPLE AND SHE IS ALWAYS HAVING FUN THINGS. I THINK I WILL EMAIL HER THIS ENTRY OF YOURS. HER NAME IS GINGER AND SHE IS IN HER EARLY 40'S SHE'S VERY CREATIVE. THE PLACE NEEDS AN ACTIVITY DIRECTOR LIKE HER.

Anonymous said...

Im Judys friend Ginger from New York and Im an activity director at Amber CourtAssisted Living. Id be happy to send you a calendar of our activities to show your director what is possible with just a little imagination. I make it my business to be sure that my residents have the opportunity to have a more active  social,  life than I do and that there lives are as enriched as possible, . You and your fellow residents deserve the same. Today, we're taking a cruise around Long Island. Bon Voyage!

Anonymous said...

Hi this is Judy I saw my friend wrote you about sending you a calendar of their events so you could bring it up as a topic on how to enrich each of your lives by doing the same. email her and ask her to send you one. She is fantastic and so much fun her email is NYBoots@aol.com. I'm going to send you a pic of her she's pretty too lol love Judy

Anonymous said...

"Gosh, I hope the Senior Pet Dog doesn't mount the miniature horse.  That might be more activity than would fit into the calendar.."

The second I read this I realized you meant mount as in "mount to ride." I won't say what my first reading was, but I'm still laughing.

Sent by way of E.