Sunday, December 30, 2007

Passing into New Year

   Everyone should have something deep and philosophical to end a year.

   It was a good year, because I got through it.  When I was a young man and all the years started with 19, I looked forward, and decided I just MIGHT make it to see the year 2000.  How wonderful, I thought.

   I programmed myself to reach 2000. 

   Then 2000 came..and WENT.  I had no program beyond that.  I felt a little lost. What was my scenario for this subsequent years?  I have spent them all living in an old folks home.  Here I live my life, investing in tiny little projects like playing the harmonica, keeping a blog, smelling the roses.  I eat and sleep and grouse about the limitations of old age

   For 2008 I resolve to find SOMETHING exciting to do, a project that makes use of my wisdom and sense of humor, and love of music and art. (I love 'em, even though I am amateurish.)  I will write a book or a play, or paint a masterpiece, or compose a sonata (or jingle of some kind),

   I will sleep eight hours a day, seven at night and one in the afternoon.  I will eat sensibly and lose weight (oh, yeah), exercise on a stationary bike, or maybe a real three wheeler. I will write, write, write. 

   And what I can't do myself, I will inspire and encourage others to do.  My son-in-law needs to get those Christmas records on the market. Wandering Dave will be home from his trip and needs a kick in the butt to get started on his next career. Grand kids need encouragement. Everybody at the old folks home needs cheering up. The management of the old folks home needs to settle down to the business of assisted living.

   Hillary will need guidance, as will our senators and congressman, but maybe I'm looking too far ahead...I have to get them all elected first.

   There will be Valentines to deliver, Easter eggs to color, fireworks to ignite, and rainbows to be painted.

   A busy time ahead.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a lot of things ahead of you to do Chuck, better get busy. Helen

Anonymous said...

With your good attitude you will have many years ahead to do all these exciting things. Paula

Anonymous said...

A busy time is an understatement! I think you have a lot of wonderful items on your agenda. I hope you accomplish them all...

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Sounds GREAT!  ADD encouragement to daughter to get painting in new direction and marketing her art more extensively!
Thanks Dad!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this. Go for it, Chuck, and Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Chuck,and may your cup never empty and your plate always full

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Chuck. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like a grand life =).  I love your optimism, Chuck, and you know what, your blog IS a masterpiece!  Love, Val xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

Anonymous said...

Happy new year Chuck ... so glad you got to make it this far!  Hugs, Tells x

Anonymous said...

    A very happy and healthy New Year to you and yours, Chuck. As for painting your masterpiece, writing your book or sonata? I say go for it!
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay