Saturday, October 1, 2005

Life Before Television

Yes, Karen, there was life before television.  It was called Radio... or "rad ee oh".  They had situation comedies and variety shows, though without pictures. If you are as old as I you may know the answers to these trivia questions.

1. What situation comedy always started with the announcer saying, "Y'deah?"

2. What comedian borrowed a line from burlesque and featured the question, "Do yo wanna buy a duck?"

3. What comedian kept yelling at band leader Phil Harris, "There's no such place as Do Wah Diddy."

4. Who lived at 79 Wistful Vista?

5.  Who was married to Portland Hoffa?

Just drag your mouse over the invisible answers below.

1. Amos and Andy

2. Joe Penner

3. Jack Benny

4. Fibber McGee and Molly

5. Fred Allen

One question I wanted to ask, but couldn't remember the answer to was Who played the hapless door-to-door salesman who knocked on the door and then said, "Nobody's home, I hope, I hope, I hope." 

I wracked my brain, but cannot remember, but maybe you can.

P.S  I've just been reminded, thanks to ryanagi, it was Al Pearce as Elmer Blurt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry no clue:(

Deb

Anonymous said...

Guess I'm not as old as I think I am. I didn't know those, but I do remember having only a radio and no TV. I remember my mama listening to Stella Dallas, but she wouldn't permit us to. Also remember a little about the black outs during the war. Think my parents listened during those. Paula

Anonymous said...

Al Pearce's character, Elmer Blurt.