Sunday, February 19, 2006

The State of Perpetual Awe

Is my perpetual state of awe becoming boring?  Everytime I take my scooter to the nearby mall, I come home in a state of shock.  There are things available to buy that I never even knew had been invented yet.

Case in point: For less than $15 I bought a memory card for my digital camera. When I inserted it in my wonderous new digital camera, it tells me I can take and store-- get this -- 595 pictures.  My gosh I will never have to download them to the computer.  I can carry a life time of pictures in the camera. 

Then in the mall were parked CARS FOR SALE. Right in front of Pennys was the most beautiful car I have ever seen: a bright red Mitsubishi.  Price tag right on it. $28,000.  I wonder what you could negotiate? I had my credit card with me, but do not need a new car, unfortunately.

Back in 1946, Marshall Fields sold airplanes in the department store.  I wonder if that is a trend that is coming back.

I bought wine, candy, and soda crackers in the drug store. Passed on beer.

At Radio Shack I saw a two foot remote controlled robot walking in the aisle, and glowing like a green nightmare.  That would have scared the bejesus out of my kids when they were little.  Still might now: it wobbles so menacingly.

On my way home I noted signs that told me that Hometown Buffet is selling steaks for supper.  Does Sizzler know about this?

Another sign of the times: one entire drawer in my house exclusively for batteries...AA, AAA, D, C, 9 v., hearing aid, and testers.

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

have a good week :)

Deb

Anonymous said...

1.  It's not boring.  It's perspective.

2. John and I have taken EXACTLY 5100 photos with my diital camera since March 10, 2005.  It's easy to take a couple hundred shots when you don't have to page for developing.

3. The Hometown Buffet's steaks are barely edible, at least at the location nearest me.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing when you think of all the things you can buy in your local Wal-Mart or Targe, especially if it's a super store.  (I'm not sure they even build stores that are not super-sized. )  It's amazing when I go how many new items I see.  I spend a lot of time walking around just looking at all these interesting items.  
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Yes it is wonderful what money can buy..... I like the idea of your drawer of batteries.... I have some in a box and my husband has some in his workshop.... How wonderful a drawer of batteries would have been when the kids were small and had battery operated things that couldn't work without . :)  Sandra

Anonymous said...

The price on memory cards has dropped significantly.    My 512 MB SD card was 40 dollars after rebate one year ago and have been dropping in price every month.   mark

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of your drawer of batteries.... says one respondant...actually a bin in the fridge is the best idea!
Keeps 'em fresh even longer!  The one made for eggs or sodas is great for those long packages of batteries from COSTCO!
Kate

Anonymous said...

Amazing, isn't it ?  Kinda scary, too.  By the way, that drawer looks alot more orderly than the junk drawer I have.  Mine is a mishmash of every object imaginable ... that I haven't been able to find a place for anywhere else.  Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme