Saturday, February 26, 2005

Monday Morning Question as answered on Saturday

   I am answering the Monday Morning Question on Saturday morning because I've been sick this week.  Or because the dog ate my homework, take your choice of excuses.  The question is what is your all-time favorite movie.

Big with Tom Hanks.  A thirteen year old boy is transformed by magic into an adult's body and suddenly has to cope with living in an adult world.  Silly concept, yet, just suppose....    Fantasy is the "willing suspension of disbelief".  You imagine what would happen under impossible circumstances. 

   Hanks' character, Josh Baskin,  uses his teen-agers' skill on the computer to get a job with a toy manufacturer.  Because he is actually a kid, he knows his toys, and gets promoted to executive vice-president.  He falls in love and bumbles along adolescently romancing an attractive business woman, who is charmed by his innocence. 

   But as the time comes for the magic to wear off, he has to decide whether to stay an adult, or to go back and live his adolescent life. He examines his choices and studies himself.  He makes a descision that is both happy and sad.

   But, you say, that's not a real problem.  Josh's trouble was based on a problem caused by magic.  Well, then I choose a different favorite:  Tootsie with Dustin Hoffman.  Dustin's Michael Dorsey can't get work.  Is that a real enough problem?  In his desperation he puts on women's clothes and becomes a women to get a female role in a soap opera.

   Whadda you know, he becomes a success, partly because his chauvanism makes him bristle when his female character is "put down" or belittled, or demeaned.  He stands up for women.  He learns about his own character.  In the end he says, "I learned more about being a man as a woman, than I ever did as a man.  You know what I mean?" And his girlfriend says, "No."

   Wait, I'm not done.  Another favorite was True Grit with John Wayne.  Rooster Cogburn is tough as nails as Marshall searching for a killer.  He is softened by his compulsory companion, Maddy, who is a tough as nails young lady.  The interaction between the old codger and the determined young lady changes the nature of the old boy.  But there is plenty of "Yee-Haw" action with shootin' irons, too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love that movie big with tom hanks:) sara

Anonymous said...

Big and Toosie are two of my Favs also !

NJLB
http://journals.aol.com/njlittlebear/MyBigFatGeekLife

Anonymous said...

I love both films!!  I was only saying to my boyfriend today that True Grit is my favourite John Wayne film....my all time favourite film is Singin in the rain....it always cheers me up and Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor are all fanstaic.....my dad got me signed, framed photos of them all...yay!!!

love Amy

PS Hope you are feeling beter now

Anonymous said...

I know I don't play the journal gang games (except sometimes as a shirt-tail relative)...but I think BIG and TOOTSIE were two of my favs also.  I like it when people are put in situations oddly foreign to them and it's usually hysterical how they cope.  BUT STILL, my ALL TIME fav movie is THE GREAT ESCAPE.  I think I really like how the prisoners joined together in the most ideal community sense.  Each had his specialty task or responsibility and carried it out with expert precision AND they had superb teamwork!  I was amazed at the calm certainty with which they performed their detailed tasks like sewing uniforms and forging identity papers, how they taught each other language, created dyes for hair and clothing, and planned their intricate escape. (CREATIVITY, PRECISION DRILL TEAM and COOPERATIVE GOAL) They had the guys who were best at the major muscle group tasks like digging, handling those, and the clever way they dispersed the dirt from the tunnels into the garden.  OH, and even within the teamwork, they allowed the maverick American to be a maverick and they used him as a diversion for the BIG PLAN!  QUITE a democracy in action!
This is the FIRST time in all these years I've really looked at WHY I liked it so much.
Thanks Dad, for bringing it up!  Kate

Anonymous said...

I don't see movies often but when I do I like something that will make me laugh. I liked "Tootsie" too. Paula

Anonymous said...

I love anything with Tom Hanks. I think he is a incedible actor and human being.

God Bless.
TiasNme2

Anonymous said...

I LOVE TOM HANKS HE IS MY FAVORITE ACTOR. MY FAVORITE ACTRESS IS JULIA ROBERTS AND I LOVE THE MOVIE PRETTY WOMAN. I LOVE HOW RICHARD GERE FALLS IN LOVE WITH JULIA AS A HOOKER AND RESCUES HER. MY HUSBAND CAME TO MIAMI AND TOOK ME FROM A VERY UNHAPPY LIFE IN 1980. WE HAD DATED FOR 13 YRS AND I LEFT MOVED TO MAIMI WAS VERY UNHAPPY BUT HE CAME AFTER ME NOT FROM BEING A HOOKER BUT FROM BEING VERY UNHAPPY. HE WALKED INTO WHERE I WAS WORKING ONE NIGHT AND SAID LETS GO HOME. I MOVED BACK WITH HIM THAT NIGHT GOT MARRIED HAD A BABY GIRL AND LIVED SO HAPPYLY UNTIL THE WRECK TOOK HIS LIFE 17 YRS LATER. I ALWAYS BELIEVE IN HAPPY ENDINGS. I LOVE THAT MOVIE AND HOW JULIA PLAYS THAT PART I THINK I ACTED ALOT LIKE HER UNTIL HE CALMED ME DOWN AND MY HUSBAND LIKE RICHARD GERE WAS VERY HANDSOME.