Sunday, May 29, 2005

The Saturday Six frin Patrick's Place

The Saturday Six from Patrick's Place.  If you'd like to play, copy the questions and post them your own answers in your journal. Post a link to the entry in the comments at Patrick's Place.

 

1. What is the most inexpensive, non-valuable thing you tend to collect and hoard? Why do you do it?

1. PAPER the printer wastes. The printer is always doing things like running ALL pages when I tell it to print page two only. I say I can turn this over and print on the back, but I rarely do. In fact, when I need scratch paper, I take a fresh sheet out of the printer feed tray.

2. PLASTIC TUBS the cottage cheese and margarine come in. Those nice little tubs make neat storage containers. “Nuts,” my daughter says, “If I need storage tubs I’ll buy Gladware at the market and I won’t waste water washing them out.”

3. PEANUT BUTTER JARS. Same reason. They are light, wide mouthed convenient pencil holders, coin repositories, urinals. Now isn’t that gross?

4. CARDBOARD CARTONS. I have moved many times and with each move I have had to scout the trash bins of every market and appliance store in town to find cartons to move things in. Now I loathe to throw any cartons away, even though I don’t expect to move again.

5. OLD MAGAZINES. What good are last week’s Time Magazine or mail order catalogues? So why do I hang onto them until I have to pay someone to haul them away? It is learned behavior. My family used to save National Geographic for years and years. They took up one whole wall of the garage.

6. SUITS AND COATS long after they are much too small for me. I used to wear large, long ago, and then extra large. Now, dear me, I am Four X large but cannot part with those suits and coats that are perfectly good for wearing again when I lose weight.

2. What is the highest price you've paid per gallon for gasoline where you live? Do you use regular, mid-grade or premium?

Rising gas prices do not affect me. I drive so little now that I buy gas only three times a year. I am not sure what I paid, but I think it was $2.58 a gallon. I have heard that it went to $3.25 a gallon for a while.

I used to work in a service station and pumped gas for $.26 per gallon and that included 4 cents state road tax. So, for 22 cents per gallon you got your fuel, your windows washed, your battery checked, your coolant refilled (with water in those days), and the correct air pressure in all four tires. No, you didn’t need to tip the attendant.

I use regular, for that’s what the owners’ manual says to do. You do read the manual, don’t you?

3. What is your favorite Bible verse and why? If you don't have a verse from the Bible that holds meaning to you, what's your favorite saying and why?

Isaiah 20,3 Isaiah went naked three years as a token and a sign against Egypt and Cush.

I like it because I’d like to think there is a reason I feel the need to go bare, and not that I’m just weird. What would happen to someone if they went around naked as a protest against Al Qaida. I think I’ll give it a try.

4. What was your favorite movie from the 1970s? When did you last view it? Do you have it in your movie collection?

Who remembers what movies came out in which decade? I like Big with Tom Hanks and True Grit with John Wayne, and I have them in my collection, and I liked ET, but I don’t have a copy, but now I have to go look up their dates.

5. Do you weigh more, less, or the same as you did one year ago? Six months ago? Three months ago?

A little more, and I hope it is only a little more.

6. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #54 from
Jennie: What one lyric sums up your current love life? Your view on life? Your past? Your hopes/dreams/fears?

Love is lovelier, the second time around. (love life)

A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down (view of life)

Thanks for the memories (past)

Roll out the barrel, we’ll have a barrel of fun (hopes)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderful answers.  Loved your answer to No. 3.  Re:  No. 2, I remember my Dad paying $ .38 a gallon and now that I think of it, didn't everyone save all their National Geographic magazines forever?  They'd always come in handy for school reports and such, wouldn't they?  Sigh.  This was before the internet, of course!

Anonymous said...

fantastic answers  especially #6 but they all rocked come on over for a visit
ttph://journals.aol.com/judypearllove/MomentsofJudyPearl/
and

Anonymous said...

Does any one even unrap the manual?  I remember $.22 a gallon for gas and $.03 for a postage stamp. "The French Connection"  is my favorite movie from the 1970's,  it is as raw as New York can get and it is a pictorial view of New York as it was. It is the New York I grew up in.  I do own an uncut version of it.  Nice journal.  You never heard of the Eagles?  They are on NBC tonight.

Anonymous said...

When I bought my first car i was 19, in the U S Army and stationed in Arizona. The car was a Nash Statesman Super. It had a 20 Gallon tank and the gas cost 17.9 cents per gallon. However, the cheapest gas was in Missouri. 14.9 cents per gallon. 1955 on a trip home to New York

Anonymous said...

DAMN, I missed the EAGLES concert on TV.  Kate