Monday, June 27, 2005

Yum Yum -- Well, Maybe

                           SUPPER TRAY

   Monday's Photo Shoot assignment was "something that makes you hungry". 

   This was the start of a series that was just the opposite.  It was going to be part of a series to present to the Senior Services Ombundsman that showed how the management was serving us meager, unattractive meals. This entree was called "Mexican Salad".  It was sour cream on slices of tomato and leaves of lettuce with an olive or two stuck on top.  It came with a cup of soup, coffee, grapes, and for dessert, one cookie.  Well, it was meagre.

   But the series was never finished and was never presented to the ombundman.  Why?  Because it looked too good.

   It looked too good to be bad.  Meals are a bit better now, but are still a souce of complaints to the ombundsman.  But I don't botther to make a photo record of them anymore.

   If this doesn't make you hungry, it didn't make us hungry either, but never made the hit parade of Starvation Diets.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow that is alot of sourcream!  and where's the beef??

Anonymous said...

Looks pretty meager to me, and particularly short of protein.

Karen

Anonymous said...

yes, I agree with the others: where's the protein?  

Anonymous said...

My name is Amber, and I came across your journal via the Guest Editor's picks of the week.  I see that you are a retired schoolteacher, well I am a schoolteacher as well, although I am just starting out!!  Does it get easier?
~Amber

Anonymous said...

One thing I know is how to cook and mexican salad should never look like that. I could  prepare you a real mexican salad!!! Love your journal and look forward to reading more. Robin

Anonymous said...

My son-in-law just spent a lenghty stay in the hospital and this look suspiciously like some of the meals he was "served." I wonder if they all went to the same anti-culinary school?

Here is my attempt at this assignment. Come on over and take a gander.

http://journals.aol.com/madmanadhd/ConfessionsofaMadmanInsightsinto/entries/1236

ps. Congrats on being made the guest editor's pick.

Anonymous said...

too much veggies and fruits and not enough protein.  I hope you got protein at your other meals!!  xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ValsThoughts

Anonymous said...

Please tell me that cookie isn't near the sour cream ?  That's like the first thing I noticed.  Ewww!  I thought the linguesa,hamburg,hotdogs and beans I made the other night looked gross!  -Dawn-

Anonymous said...

That meal would not pass in our schools here in Florida.....definitely would get a failing grade....I mean they could of added a baked potatoe with cottage cheese & sour cream topping, along with soup & salad...that would have made it a little more palatable.....sorry I worked for a caterer, love to cook and I could slap your administrator....Sandi

Anonymous said...

Oh My God this looks horrible, they need a real cook.

Anonymous said...

As the daughter of a diabetic (Type 2) Mother, and the Mother of a diabetic (Type 1) son, the meal you were served greatly disturbs me...I would hope one of the many changes implimented at your residence is considered in the culinary department, it obviously is lacking.
Your posts are wonderful!  How delightful to "meet" someone this way.  I read and then reread your posts and throughly enjoyed each one.  I think we all related to your 5M thoughts as you pondered life at the window...yes, we have all been at the window, listening, looking and hoping for something, unknown, but something...did you do as I have, thought to myself, "let me never forget this magical moment, let it be with me always".
Peace, love and prosperity to you always....