Sunday, July 23, 2006

Which is Better?

   The VA van is coming to take me to San Francisco at 1 PM.

   Which is better? Wait until the last minute and rush to pack, and probably forget something.

   Or...

   Do what I did.  Get ready THREE HOURS ahead of time...and then have to  wait.... and wait.... and wait.

   I hate waiting for the van, because I don't want to go at all.

   (But give the VA credit.  They called ahead to explain the accommodations, and what to expect.  It was very considerate, and put my mind at ease. I am dreading the trip much less now.)

   One consolation:   This trip has made table-mate Wilma wild with jealousy.  She is passionate about San Francisco and cannot understand why I am not wild with joy about being there.

   Not taking my lap top, so I will see you late Tuesday....Au Revoir.

(Spell check says "Au Revoir" is not right, but doesn't tell what is right.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You spelled it right Chuck....
"au revoir" also means "until we see each other again," which is why it is the more common expression of "goodbye," at least formally.

Others have also suggested "a bientot," and "a la prochaine" which are more informal.

There is another way of expressing good-bye in French, which is "adieu." Broken apart, this means "a" - to, and "dieu" - God. In this sense, there is a certain finality expressed when one says "adieu," which is what sets it apart from au revoir.
Have a nice trip..Tell Wilma to get over herself!!!!..B. Lynne

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart...Hope all goes well and we will be waiting and watching for you to return....
Hope you have an easy time of it...
hugs,
carlene

Anonymous said...

OH, poor Wilma... Bring her a trinket and that'll help soothe her ruffled feathers!
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Good to hear all is well , make sure you pick up a post card for wilma!

Anonymous said...

I'm a stickler for being on time so that makes me very very early. My daddy made me that way. Have a good trip. Paula

Anonymous said...

Relax and try to enjoy the trip!  I'm sure it will be fine. - Karen