Friday, January 5, 2007

An Extra Day

Woke up thinking it was Saturday.  It is only Friday.  I have an "extra" day, suddenly added to my life.  What shall I do with it?  It would be a shame to waste it.

David Burke, the gentleman who is about to take off on a year long tour of United States was here to work on "Theme music" for his Blog, Podcasts, Radiocasts. We didn't settle on anything, nor even master the recording techniques necessary.  Alas, the things I had prepared...a list of songs, a list of musical instruments producable by the computer...disappeared when I needed them most.  We foundered around with a "haywire" hook up and I enjoyed the visit, but not much was accomplished.  Dave said he was satisfied with our progress, but I think he was being kind. 

The truth is I have lots of "toys", computer, online resources, keyboards, and I have grandiose ideas of what I can produce, but no real skills, musical nor computer.  I cannot put music on my blog, nor home movies.  I have a MIDI connection from keyboard to computer, but I don't even know what MIDI is, nor what it stands for.  If I live another 82 years, I may master some of the potential I have with my toys. 

Back to bed... maybe I can solve some problems in my sleep.  Don't even know why I am up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on filling in your extra day! Perhaps a trip down to Starbucks??  That would be a perfect beginning!
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Have a great X-tra Day

Anonymous said...

I have done that before and have been completely turned around for half a day until I figured out what day it was.     MIDI is basically a computer file format to my limited knowledge.     I have read that it is a slightly complicated process though including it on the journal page.     I can't get music other than AOL radio to play on my dial-up connection as other's will not download properly.    Plus I don't like all the out of nowhere sounds that keep popping up.     mark

Anonymous said...

Those of you who haven't had the opportunity to get mano-a-mano with Chuck Ferris have missed an interesting learning opportunity.

I'm David Burke, the recipient of a couple hours of "Chuck-Time" this week and I speak from experience. Obviously, those reading this comment already know that Chuck has a way with words and an interesting outlook on life -- his life, mostly, but the lessons aren't lost regardless of who's reading.

Though Chuck modestly concludes that our Jam session was fruitless, I want to set the record straight. I picked up insights on the use of rhythm and repetition and on the importance of having a beginning and ending to "The Ballad of Wandering Dave."

Chuck picks out melodies effortlessly and demonstrated how a fairly straightforward rhythm and chord background can combine to make a good sound.

Thanks, Chuck, for the help. Our "Rube Goldberg" assembling of cables, adapters, preamps and speakers added to the experience. It was fun.

While I have your attention -- You Friends of Chuck -- let me invite you to visit my WanderingDave.com site and to consider riding along with me (virtually, of course) when I leave next month on a year-long, 15,000-mile trek around the US and Canada.

Dave Burke  ( david@wanderingdave.com )

Anonymous said...

See there?  You do all right. I don't know what MIDI stands for, either, but if you really want to make your computer talk to your Casio I'm sure someone can help you with that.  Anyway, just messing around with stuff is more fun than knowing what you're doing! - K.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, you are in good company. If I understood half of what my computor was capable of, I'd be a rocket scientist! Take care my friend.
Love Sylvia x
http://journals.aol.co.uk/Sylviam4000/YeOldeEnglishPosy/