Sunday, January 14, 2007

Life Sentence

In adjusting to life in an old folks home (assisted living facility), perception is the key factor.

Long ago one resident looked around the dining room and asked me, "How many passengers have we got here?"  He seemed to think we were on a cruise.

As misperceptions go, that is not bad.  To think you are on a cruise with a lot of other old folks is not a bad idea.  What a fun way to spend your years, sailing down the rivers of life.

On the other hand, yesterday I heard a new resident ask his tablemate, "How long are you in for?"

I guess we can tell what HE perceives his new home to be like.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the answer should be, 'Forever and 15 years!'  LOL
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Wow Did not think of it that way!

Anonymous said...

LOL LOL.....you just gave me a good heart felt laugh, Chuck...I guess it is all on how you look at life, huh?
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

a cruise what a great way to look at it:) hope you are feeling better:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

so Im a cruise director!!lol

Anonymous said...

This gave me a little chuckle. I like the first idea. Paula