Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Who We Were

This old folks home, and I suppose Old Folks Homes everywhere, are a microcosm.  A universe in miniature.

That feeble old fellow over there, with his walker, once kept the utilities going for a whole community.  Ran the water works and the generating station.

That crabby old lady who dominates the laundry room, was responsible, with other Navy Waves for breaking the Japanese naval code in WWII and saved thousands of American lives and actually shortened the war.

The lady who hides the jam in the cupboard once supported her three kids and got them through school and college by driving three thousand miles a month selling outdoor advertising;

The deaf old codger in the wheel chair next door to me was Superintendent of Schools responsible for the education of thousands of children.

My card playing buddy was a contractor.  Built most of the churches in several coastal counties

Tom Brokaw called us the Greatest Generation. 

Yet, there is another generation coming along.  Time magazine called them People of the Year.  They have changed the world too, with internet, computer, and digital media.  They are the You Tube and the My Space generation.  Their Old folks homes are not built yet... but will be here.

And their kids will be...well, we know not what.  Bless 'em, they will find their niche.  Bless us all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

and God Bless you too.... I just wish I had known when I was a lot younger how much I should have respected the older generation..... Sandra

Anonymous said...

One Old Soldier to another, you are great and I have the utmost respect for you and I want to thank you for our way of life today!
God bless you and all vets!

Anonymous said...

I think yours was a great generation Chuck....and you still are.
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

Excellent entry Chuck.  How true it is! ,,and Bless You!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful entry, Chuck.  We could learn a lot from you guys . . . living history.  I would be fascinated.  My little daughter would be bored.  I was born in the late 40's - have seen a lot - heard much from my mother and grandparents.  Wish I were close enough to visit you.  We would have a wonderful chat and some Starbuck's.  Blessings, Penny http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere
http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/TimeforaLittlePoetry

Anonymous said...

Love this entry. Paula

Anonymous said...

Great entry Chuck. Bet there are a lot more you could tell about your neighbors and how they contributed to society. Helen

Anonymous said...

I love this entry Chuck...it is so wise for people to remember how valuable each and every person is everywhere. Bam

Anonymous said...

I think everyone of the people you mentioned played a great role in the building of the great country as we know it including you and your service during WW2!   Everyone that did their best should feel satisfied in the fact that they were a part of the building of America.     As we grow old we do not look like the physical specimens we once were so younger people do not recognize that we were once just like them.    History is a great teacher and must be acknowledged for one to truly know their place in it.    I have been watching on PBS the shaping of the Supreme Court and the influence it has had on our democracy and was impressed with several of the great judges that have made significant contributions that have clarified the Constitution to be the basis for the most democratic and free country in the world.     mark