The answers to my busy brain quiz below, as I figure them. I googles, wikipedia'd, and calculated them. It kept my brain busy for hours.
1. At the Dentist office I noticed that the aquarium was about five feet long, two feet wide and had about 18 inches of water in it. I asked myself How much water is in there? It stood on a normal table, but what did it weigh? If they had been filled with sea water how much more or less would it weigh?
That is fifteen cubic feet and would weigh 936 pounds with fresh water, and with sea water, 33 pounds more or 999 pounds Add two cups more water and make it an even 1000 pounds. Oh, I have to go back and recalculate the number of gallons.
936 (pounds of water) divided by 8 (pounds per gallon) = 117 gallons. (To the lady in the dentist’s office who guessed “100 gallons”, well done.)
Oh, I guessed at the dimensions by casual observation.
2.Two railroad companies made the first transcontinental railroad and met at Promontory Point in Utah. What were their names and how much track did each one lay?
Central Pacific building from California eastward and Union Pacific building from Omaha west ward. I do not find the actual number of miles each company built.
3. What are the names of the three stars in Orion's Belt? How many other stars can you name? (Sol..the sun is one.)
Alnitak..800 light years from sun, Alnilak..1300 light years away.. And Mitaka 900 light years away.
Orion’s left shoulder, North east corner star is Betelgeuse, and the south west corner, Rigel
I named eight stars when the question first occurred to me… in about five minutes. I am sure I could do more if I pondered longer. I Learned some new names and was reminded of others when I looked up answer
4.Doc Holiday was one of the gunmen at the gunfight at O.K.Corral. What kind of a doctor was he? How do you spell his name correctly?Who were the others? Who lived and who died?
We all say Dentist.
Virgil Earp, Tombstone Chief of Police
Ike Clanton, head wound
Billy Clanton, Killed
Frank McLaury, Killed
Tom McLaury, Killed
5. What were the six original Jello flavors?
Strawberry, raspberry, cherry, orange, lemon, and lime. I can almost hear Jack Benny’s announcer, Don Wilson, reeling them off, as he did for years.
6. What kind of Amoeba causes amoebic dysentery
Entamebic Histolytica, an anaerobic parasitic protozoan
7. How did the color Burnt Sienna get its name?pigment: a warm mid brown color. It is also a Crayola color.
Chemically, burnt sienna is formed by burning raw sienna (Terra di Sienna).
8.There are 88 keys on a piano. What is the lowest and what is the highest? What is the frequency in Hertz of each?
I looked at a photo of a grand piano and the lowest note was A… four octaves below A 440 hz the standard. That means the hertz of the lowest key is 55. Likewise the highest key was C four octaves above C 512 hz, or 8192 hz.