Thursday, April 5, 2007

A Race Against Time

I feel so OLD.  I have spent the morning carefully prying old photos off a bulletin board so I could copy them on the computer to be printed in a family album for my first great-grandchild.

I am going to see him for the first time this weekend.  I want to have the album ready then.  That is the race against time: copy dozens of old photos and have them comb bound into a handy album.

But the prints are fragile, they fall apart in my hand.  I cannot believe how old they are...after all, I mounted them there myself. And there they have hung for over FORTY years.

Poor great grandson is getting copies of copies of copies. I took pains long ago to gather family albums and copy the pictures with the technology available at the time... a twin lens reflex camera. A lot of detail has been lost.  Not only that, names are forgotten. Great grandson will have the faces of nameless ancestors.

The most recent photo in the batch is SIXTY years old...and it is of ME...at my wedding. I remember the day wall. Can I really be that old?

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! I can't find the pictures I took last year. LOL!

Anonymous said...

you could take a picture of them all so in case you lose them you have a new picture . then you can print that out in sections...just a thought. I hope you get it finished for him. It will be a treasure

Anonymous said...

Hi Chuck - what a wonderful idea.  Enjoy your weekend and get someone to take a photo of you and your great grandson together !
Luv Jayne x

Anonymous said...

Too bad you don't have the time to get them to one of those places that restores and repairs old pictures.  I don't even know the cost, but I am going to have to do that for my sisters.  I have family pictures of my grandmother's grandmother. I am so glad you will have these pictures in whatever condition to pass on to your grandson.  He will be proud to have them.  Blessings, Penny  http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere
http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/TimeforaLittlePoetry

Anonymous said...

Maybe old but certainly bold!  Your little grandson is getting a wonderful gift.  Hugs, Terry x