Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Flat Eartj

I went out last evening just to stare at the almost full moon.  I went to the back parking lot.  There there are fewer lights and the sky is just a little more visible.

Why is it, that at eighty-three, I still mavel at the moon, its phases and the stars at night?  There was only one start visible. I think it must have been Jupiter. It was bright and high in the sky. Venus is brighter but never gets that high in the sky. (It is closer to the sun, and thus, much of the time it is overhead, it is daylight.)

I understand how the sun and the planets orbit, and why there are seasons, because I have been taught.  But I marvel at how the ancients figured it all out. If I had not been taught the the Earth was round, would I have figured it out? I doubt it.

By the way, what makes gravity?  WHY are objects attracted to one another? No one has taught me that..so I try to figure it out, to no avail.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You & I have lots in common!  ;)
Sugar

Anonymous said...

I think when the earth spins on it's axsis that creates gravity

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure who invented gravity, Chuck, but it is certainly a major attraction with mass appeal.

Speaking of physics, I'm in Pennsylvania and after a long drive over from the east coast, I can say that a body in motion tends to need a nap.

Carry on.

Anonymous said...

The moon is huge here tonight...
love ya,
carlene