Tuesday, August 8, 2006

I'm Hooked

I have to face it.  I'm hooked.

Thank goodness it is not on drugs, or alcohol.  But on my Casio Keyboard.  (Model LK-90tv, if you care to know)  I bought it refurbished for less than one hundred dollars, and it has been sitting in my room for nearly a year, but now I have DISCOVERED it.

I played it for hours this past week-end, and all afternoon yesterday, AND I got up at five am, connected some head phones, so as not to disturb the neighbors,  and began playing and suddenly it was six am.  If you'd rather play than sleep, you're hooked.

I can't read music.  I play by ear, with one finger. So what is the attraction?

The Casio keyboard does it all for me.  I t has 119 different thythms BUILT IN.  I can play a fox-trot, a march, a waltz, a rhumba, a Tango, or anything, at the touch of a button.  With one finger of my other hand, I play chords.  I touch one key, and it plays chords...in rhythm..with a nice combo back up.

So I improvise a few notes with my right hand, playing any one of 256 different instruments, piano to flute to tympanii to steel drum, my choice, and play a simple chord progresssion C-G7-F7 with one finger of my left hand, and I have REAL MUSIC. 

LIKE MAGIC.  It keeps me transfixed for hours at a time.

I can hook it up to the computer, once I learn how, and who knows what it will do.  AND I can display the music and the chords on the TV if I choose. 

Is this a marvelous electronic age, or not?  Here sit I, just as I rolled out of bed, playing music, and then bragging about it to the world in my electronic journal. If I could read music, my keyboard and I would be stars on American Idol. That would be a hoot, wouldn't it: an eighty two year old idol, playing big band swing on his bargain keyboard.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

woohoo never to old to learn something new WTG Chuck!!!!

Deb

Anonymous said...

I'll Be your roady! I'll sit it up before ou preform! Good work chase!

Anonymous said...

You always have something neat going on in your life...Hope you are having a great day! B. Lynne

Anonymous said...

Technology comes in so many forms these days!  It can really be fun to learn something new and different!!
Jackie

Anonymous said...

You have more fun then anyone I know. Good for you. There is always something to do. No one has to sit around and be loney or feel sorry for themselves. Paula

Anonymous said...

Sounds great!  Hmm, I wonder where my cheap Casio keyboard is. - Karen

Anonymous said...

You should listen to Nine Inch Nails, then- like band leader Trent Reznor- start a one man show.

Anonymous said...

Your enthusiasm is overflowing so it must be great!     To have found something that provides hours of meaningful interest is fantastic.      Everyone should have your enthusiasm about something that makes their day enjoyable.    mark