Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Not Your Grand Dad's Chevy

While passing by the Starbuck's parking lot, I was struck by the beauty of one particular little red pick up.

I had to get closer.  It looked like a custom built truck.  When I saw the name plate, I was shocked and didn't believe my eyes.

It was a Chevrolet.

First car I owned was a Chevy.  And I have driven Chevy models from 1917 to 1995, the one I own now.  And this was like nothing I had ever seen from Chevrolet.

Maybe they're getting them designed in Indonesia, or someplace.  Doesn't look like Detroit Iron to me.

Here is a close up of the nameplate: Maybe on of you car buffs can explain what has happened.

                          

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.chevrolet.com/ssr/

What happened was the fact that The Prowler and The PT Cruiser saved Chrysler from almost certain bankruptcy a couple of years ago, and the entire car industry sat up and took notice. They used to look at futuristic concept cars as something fancy to show the public at the annual car shows. Now they look at them as viable production models.

Personally, I like it. Cars haven't been this interesting since the fifties.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

The pricetag for one of these is only around $60,000. I'm sure for that price, it was loaded....  They've been out for a couple of years now...
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I SAW ONE OF THOSE AT OUR CHEVY DEALER HERE! I WISH THESE CAR MANUFATORERS WOULD START MAKING DIFFERENT STYLES....I LIKE THIS TRUCK BECAUSE IT IS DIFFERENT!!!
CARLENE

Anonymous said...

The ss on the plate means super sport the r I have no clue!
Beautiful truck and pricey!

Anonymous said...

I believe I saw on TV perhaps that Chevy (GM) was only building that model for a short time period.    Someone will be buying an instant collector's item and the high price tag should justify the expense.    Ford did a good job of keeping the Mustang identifiable as it was in the 60's but the new GTO from Pontiac is just like any other new model Japanese/American car.    mark