Thursday, October 5, 2006

Expanding my Horizons

Suddenly, at age 82, I am blossoming..  I have just called the city bus to pick me up weekly and take me to art class.  I have a project in mind.  Instead of paints or drawing media, I will take my Dell laptop computer containing a Paint program.  I will try to do the lesson for the day, whether design or color oriented, on my laptop.

Also I am scheduled weekly to go to Writers Class at the Senior Center.  Maybe the laptop would be good there too.  Haven't considered that yet.  Perhaps I could get online from there, wireless, and be a research resource for the writers.  LOL.  I keep making up projects for myself.

Here at the old folks home, I sit and listen to George our volunteer piano player.  When he tells me what key he is playing in, I can accompany him on my harmonica.  Also I list the songs he has played and compile a complete compendium of his music.  I made up that assignment for myself.

Also, I assigned myself to unlock the back garden in the mornings and lock it up at night.  We haven't had any prowlers...but we MIGHT. Anyway it is something to do.  Also I appointed myself to tally the scores of our nightly rummy game.  Another self appointed individual, Jim, records the scores and keeps them in a book.  (Why? I don't know why? I suppose, like me, it is to keep busy.))

I also take pictures of the activities that take place here, print them on my desk top computer, and post them on the bulletin board. (Using push pins I had to buy at Staples.)

I decided that Talking watches, for seven dollars, was a good buy.  So I ordered half a dozen, and sell them at cost to residents who want them.  Saves them the trouble of ordering them from a catalogue.

I have a sore arm from patting myself on the back.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you~you make me smile!!
Terry

Anonymous said...

wow you are sure busy these days that is great way to keep motivated!

Anonymous said...

You are  one busy man, Chuck!!! But that is what keeps your mind so bright and new! nd also what keeps the home going in the right direction!!!
hugs,
carlene

Anonymous said...

LOL at the sore arm from patting yourself on the back!  Good On Ya'

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've started using the city bus. It will give you the ability to go further than just scooting down to the local areas when you feel you need to get out! I'm glad to hear about the art and writing classes, too.  They will be excellant outlets for you, I think!  Keep up the great job of patting yourself on the back! You have lots to be proud of!
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I definitely recommend the laptop for the wtiting class.  Good for you!  Rah rah rah!  Break all ruts!

Anonymous said...

You deserve a pat on the back. You are always coming up with some new idea. I always love your attitude. Paula

Anonymous said...

You are a good man Chuck........I hope they appreciate you at the old folks home. Bam