Saturday, October 7, 2006

Ga-Ga Over Google

There have been remarkable inventions in my life time, nuclear power, television, space exploration, but the least hearalded and most powerful may be the search engine, Google.

Google somehow prowls through the entire internet and finds the exact phrase or precise person you want to know about, and LINKS to it.  Talk about wonderful, or even Google Wonderful, and this is it.

For example, I put a silly little poem in my journal, and Dave, a reader, was able to ascertain that it was an original, not a real bit of literature by using Google.

Another example.  A line from a musical has popped into my head: We're so Gol Dern stubborn, we can stand touching noses and never see eye-to-eye.  I'd like to know the rest of the words to that song.  So, as soon as I post this, I'm going to Google that line.  Betcha I can find the rest of the song, order a copy online, pay for it online, and sing it for you next week.

Later: found it.

It was a line about Iowa. We're so By-God stubborn we can stand touching noses for a week and never see eye-to-eye..

Well, I'm not gonna order it or sing it, but I COULD.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love google.  i use it daily.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

the power of the web it is a beautiful powerful tool!

Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to thank you for NOT singing!

On the other hand, if you can sing as well as you play that mouth organ, you have my permission; but if you learned to play the thing BECAUSE I couldn't sing...

If you like Google web search, you have to play with the other Google applications -- type in "Monkey riding a Horse" in the Google Images window and you'll be amazed at how many you find.

And Google Earth allows you to "fly" from here to there (New York to Paris, for example), using sattelite photographs and allowing you to zoom in so close that a single building fills the screen.

If you learn a couple of bells and whistles, you can make sweeping turns, flying a low altitude from your childhood home to school, church, the park, area vacation spots.

It doesn't allow you to go back in time, more's the pity -- or forward (now, there's a thought!).

Bon voyage!

Anonymous said...

OOPS!

I was demonstrating the proper protocol for blog chatter -- which is to always follow the basic rule: DON'T PROOFREAD.

As a wanna-be writer, I tend to spend 3 times as long re-writing and proofing as I did writing my first drafts. That's counter-productive in e-mail and blogging -- it slows the banter and puts a damper on the fun.

So, when I said "you learned because I couldn't sing" (below), I expect readers to understand that I MEANT to write "you learned for the same reason I did: I couldn't sing."

Please excuse that error along with the others I've no doubt committed while attempting to minimize the first error -- seeking perfection creates a vicious cycle and I don't want to go THERE!

Blog on!

Anonymous said...

ACTUALLY CHUCK CAN sing, Dave, ask him to sing Bill Grogan's Goat for you!
Kate