Wednesday, October 4, 2006

What? Again?

Another morning at 2:30.  And here I am again.  It's getting to be a habit.  Wonder why.  Sleep comes in little one hour segments.  I get in more dreams that way, anyway. 

What takes the computer so long to start up?  What mysterious things is it doing from the time I turn it on until it is ready to let me access my journal?  At least geting on AOL is easier now with broadband.  Imagine what start up and getting on line will be in a few years: Whoosh, and here you are.  I can't wait.

I had another nice day, Tuesday.  Less drama, but self satisfying nevertheless.  Included a trip to Staples to buy computer supplies: ink and paper, and some push pins.  The pins are for posting my creations on the bulletin board.  Somehow the pins I put in yesterday are gone today when I have something to add.  So I bring my own pins now. I wonder if Luther used Staples' push pins to post his theses to the church door.  Perhaps I am starting my own Reformation.

I have accepting friends here at the old folks home.  The accept my foibles and eccentricities.  They have a few of their own as well.  I hope I am as accepting of them as they are of me.

We had one problem with life at the old folks home yesterday: sharing.  We Rummy players have our card shuffler and decks of cards ready on the card table for our nightly game right after supper. We leave them there.  But,alas, in a shared community, others use the game room at other times, and use our cards too.  And yesterday they mixed our twin decks of cards with the hunderds of cards that other players have left from years gone by.  So five of us were trying to sort out two decks of cards from the hundreds of cards in a huge pile.  It was chaos.  Red decks, blue deckss, bicycle backs, carpet backs, and others. "Do you see any more red bicycle back diamonds," you would hear, or "Need a seven of spades here,: and, "I have three seven of spades here.  What back do you need?"  Today we have to get a couple of fresh decks, or we will have to give up on Rummy tonight.

And the shufflers.  The batteries get weak and the sufflers begin to balk.  Now we have two sufflers.  I take one home and put in fresh batteries, and hide it until the other begins to falter, then I swap, keeping at least one operating nightly.

The biggest topic of conversation at table is "What day is it?"  Somehow all the days run together for old folks. But the funny part is, we argue about it.  How can you argue about the day of the week?  It is WEDNESDAY or it ISN'T. Arguing will not change things.  Neither will arriving at a concensus.  If the folks in the dining hall vote three to two that it is Wednesday, that will not make it Wednesday if yesterday was actually Monday.  Thank goodness Bingg comes the same days each week.  Helps keep the week in order. Monday, Bingoday, Wednesday, Bingoday, Friday, Bingoday (half an hour earlier), Sunday. Week after week, and every week seems the same as the week before, and how they FLY by.  It is getting on toward Halloween again and it was just Halloween recently.  Oh, that was last year? My how the years fly by.

Oh, oh, here go the paramedics down the hall with a stretcher. No, they won't tell you who they are here to see.  Well, we will know soon enough.  Send not to see for whom the bells toll.  They toll for thee.  The paramedics will call on you soon enough.  Everyone needs them from time to time.

Yesterday was a good day.  Rummy, dinner, paramedics, shopping.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

P.S. from Chuck.  Notice all the typos (errors). That comes from the hour.  Also if I compose in large type, I could correct as I go.  But even when I go back and edit... I miss a lot.  Oh, well, at this hour, anything goes.  Another of my foibles.

Anonymous said...

My days melt together also , then I look at the computer and it tells me what day it is. Try to have a good wednesday today!

Anonymous said...

Chuck, I'm enjoying your blog. Your perspective on life in our times (and, in your and my case, among the "seniors") provokes me -- in a good way.

I know you had a conflict today and couldn't attend the writing class. And I also know you worked on the assignment. May I suggest that you complete your poem and present it next Wednesay?

The offerings by others (about 10 completed the assignment) were really great -- we had a wonderful meeting this morning. I'm in charge next week (yes, the Peter principle has intervened!) and will give you first rights to read your poem -- it will be a nice echo of today's readings and will be most welcome (I've seen your drafts here).

I wish I could accommodate your chair and could pick you up as Frank and I make our way south each week -- but I hope you'll consider it well worth the trouble to arrange for public transit as you did last week. I am certain that you'll fall in love with the rest of the class, as I have.

Meanwhile, keep blogging -- you're darned good at it.

DB

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU ENTRIES  ON LIFE AT THE HOME CHUCK! YOU HAVE A WAY WITH WORDS AND ALSO VERY GOOD HUMOR!
IT ALWAYS BRIGHTEN MY DAYS TO COME HERE AND VISIT!
THANK YOU CHUCK.
HUGS,
CARLENE

Anonymous said...

I love reading about you and where you live and what goes on there. Bam

Anonymous said...

You know Chuck, everywhere my wife has worked (she's a Geriatrics Nurse), the activities staff have a bulletin board that posts the day and date of the week, the menu for the day, the weather forcast and anything special about the day -- holidays, special visitors scheduled, etc. It's updated each morning at 6AM. If your activities director hasn't got one, maybe s/he ought to budget the money and get one! It keeps the "It's Tuesday!" -- "No, it's Wednesday, dang it!" arguments down to a dull roar...

Anonymous said...

Chuck you have such a wonderful attitude about everything. I think what the other person commented about posting the day of week is a good idea then there wouldn't be any doubt. On the other hand that may be another small enjoyment of the residents there. lol Paula