Tuesday, October 10, 2006

My Job

Six AM and I am glad I do not have to punch a time clock.  I have a pension and a GI disability allowance. Thank you, taxpayers for the later.

I could sleep more if I wanted to. Instead I can rise when I want and retire when I want. My fellow resident, Jim, sleeps 'til noon and retires sometime in the early morning. I hated the regimen of work, but put in my years, and now I set my own hours.

Some of my fellow residents wish they COULD work.  Retirement is not for everyone.  I had a great-grandfather who retired in the early part of his life, when leisure is especially valuable, and then at age fifty went to work in a hardware store for the rest of his life.  Makes sense, for some.

Oh, I have given myself a job: un latch the garden gates in the morning and close them at sundown. No one hired me to do it, and without my attention it would not get done, and who cares. It keeps transients out of the garden and away from the building at night, but I am not sure they would come in anyway, nor that the latches keep them out if they are determined prowlers.  We once had transients sleeping under the thick bushes in the parking lot, but they haven't been back since the gardeners trimmed the bushes radically.

What does one do with himself if he has no work to go to?  Some read, wander the halls, watch television.  Bingo is very popular here at the old folks home: three times a week.  Listening to the call of random numbers is one way to spend your leisure time. Our nightly rummy game consumes an hour a day, but, my, it gets boring from time to time.

I am starting two classes weekly.  One an Art class, taught by my daughter, and the other a writing class for seniors.  Mostly we write nostalgia pieces and try to explain to  the modern generation what things were like in the "old days".

But the best is my Blog.  I have just spent forty minutes in pleasurable chit-chat with you, my friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm disabled and wish I can go back to work , like you sir I have alot of time to kill , my Debbie works during the day so I try to keep a clean house for her.
I had a bitch of a time sleeping last night so i'll take my cat naps later on today!
Chuck have a great day!

Anonymous said...

HI CHUCK!
I don't know how you could improve on your writing, it is very good as it is! But I guess they can give you new insight on what and how and why!!!
I wish I could retire! Gues everyone says that until they actually do it...but it sure would be nice to be able to sit back for a while!
Thank you Chuck for serving in the armed forces of this country of ours.
many hugs and smiles to you,
carlene

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy how you keep yourself busy and manage to tell us about it.I am glad you are taking the classes. We are never too old to learn anything. I would love to see some of your articles in "The Good Old Days" magazine. Bam

Anonymous said...

YOu will enjoy the classes! They will keep you busy (and out of trouble, hopefully) as well as help keep your life interesting! I can't wait to read and see what you create...
Jackie