Friday, September 1, 2006

As If You care...

There are 58 medium sized pitted olives in an eight ounce can that sells for one dollar at Sav*Mart.

That makes each olive cost 1.7 cents.  I had a snack of fifteen olives.  That was a quarter's worth.  But it is not the quarter that is important; it is the 350 milligrams of sodium.  That is 15% of my reccommended daily intake of sodium.  All in one sitting...and I would have enjoyed more. Olives are cured in salt.

My legs are sore and swollen already, and YET I snack on olives.

And I feel lots of company as I gorge myself.  My tablemate, very overweight, has two helpings of ice cream for dessert  every meal  no matter what is on the prescribed menu.

So why do we do this to ourselves?  Please don't join us.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To late my friend I'm eatting a cup "O" soup It ha 1090 milagrams of salt thats 48% the daily reccomended dose and my blood pressure is up again!

Anonymous said...

yes I do it too.... sorry to say. Iam good for awhile and then I fall back into the old pattern again.... don't know why. Sandra

Anonymous said...

I do care Chuck...sometimes we all just give up and eat what we want...then I try to get back on track eventually. Bamnfla

Anonymous said...

I think it has to do with "indulging" and in the feelings we get as we grow older that "when I go.. i want to go enjoying myself!".. I see this in my disabled brother even more than in myself. (but he has 5 yrs and many more things wrong then I do)

Anonymous said...

Guess because as we get older our pleasures in life are fewer but we can still eat what taste good to us. Paula

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of sodium for just a few olives... but I have to admit, I love 'em too!! I can just feel myself swell when I eat them... guess that was your point??  LOL  I think we just fall back on things we love to eat. Guess that's why they call it comfort food....
Jackie

Anonymous said...

If you were to soak the olives in a bowl of water for a half hour or so they would be deluted of salt.     That is good that you are watching your sodium intake.    mark