Friday, September 1, 2006

Cousin Bertha

Cousin Bertha, age 91 is in better shape than I am at 82.  While I am snacking on olives, see entry below, she is eating weeds.

She goes out in the yard and pulls up some weeds, she calls "Lamb's Quarters".  She brings them in and puts them in a sauce pan with a little water and boils them.  "Oh, they taste so good," she says.  And then she drinks the water she cooked them in. 

She walks about half a mile a day.  She walks down to the corral and pets the horses.  They come to the fence to greet her.  If they need water she fills the bucket with a hose.  "They're very friendly," she says, "But I would never think of riding one."

Bertha takes NO pills....not even apirin.  I take nine pills a day.

She says, "Mother lived to 93, and I am in better shape than she.  I may make it to 96."  Her son, Jon, is a physician, 68, and says, "Oh Mother, why not shoot for a hundred?"

More about LambsquartersBon apetite.

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to know what that sweet lady knows about herbs!!!! Bamnfla

Anonymous said...

I miss my Memere so she was 91 when she passed- so much wisdom in these old gals...   Bertha seems sweet        

Anonymous said...

Now let me know what type of grass that is and where I can buy some!
Great story thanks!

Anonymous said...

can't say I've ever heard the term "lambs quarters"... take a photo and show us!

Anonymous said...

Sometime I think I would have been better off if I had never taken that first pill. Good for Bertha. Paula

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Bertha is up and around again after her injury.  Maybe the weeds she cooks has some medicidal purpsoes....
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Bertha is blessed to have such excellent health.    I have had to discontinue the work I have been doing on my home addition construction due to what the physical therapists are indicating to be a ruptured disk in my lumbar spine.     I am still doing a little work shingling but lifting even light boards is too painful.   I will be getting the results of an MRI this week.    mark

Anonymous said...

Lamb quarters are good :) kinda like mustard greens or spinach

Deb