Thursday, September 7, 2006

Born Eighty Years Too Soon

Vivian stunned me this morning.  She put a home movie in her journal. It was a tour of her home, with sound and color, IN HER JOURNAL

That means...we could do that too.  I, me, could. Imagine.

When I was a teen, I made home movies, with an 8 mm camera, silent, in black and white... and made them into a Newsreel and showed it in the school auditorium.  That was in 1939...yes, in the last century, way back when.  Was I ahead of my time?  Well, yes, about SIXTY YEARS. 

How I longed for sound movies... how I longed for color....how I hated having to pay for film.Yes, three dollars for four minutes worth. And a had to wait a week or more while it was processed.  Now with video cams or a handy digital camera and a computer, kids have sound color movies and all the "film" they need free.  What a bonanza.

Long ago, 1939, we kids published a newspaper.  In the newspaper I wrote a Blog called "Dribble".  We printed the paper on a Hektograph.  Hektograph was a gelatinous substance upon which we lay the master copy, until the ink transferred to the gelatin, and upon which we lay each sheet of paper until some of the ink was picked up by the copy.  It was a page by page, issue by issue, hand process. Distribution was by bicycle, or mail (at 3 cents per copy)

Now my Dribble goes world-wide, instantly in color.  And I can add a newsreel to it.  All this free...(well, to AOL  members). 

So, soon as I can learn the secrets... my journal will have sound movies in them. You know, I could include some of those old 1939 home movie news reels in them. 

Now that I am 82, there is so much more to learn.  But what a fascinating age.  Oh, to be a teen now, with unlimited free color "film" and bicycle-less world wide distribution.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chuck when you figure out teach me, I wanted to do a video but  don't know how! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I understand ...My girlfriend and I had a "newspaper" that we sold to the neighbors for pennies.... what fun we had though... I'm happy I lived through those happy days aren't you?Sandra

Anonymous said...

Me too Chuck.......I wanna do it too.I have video on my digital camera but do not know how to put it on puter. Bamnfla
http://journals.aol.com/reconcilinglife/reconciling-life/

Anonymous said...

It would be SO COOL if you posted your old home-made movies from 1939!! I'd love to see them~
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to see a video of yours from way back..and how about the Dribble column from then? Do u have any copies of it? I wonder if the style was similiar to ur journal. I'd love to see it!
Ginger

Anonymous said...

I  too would love to see your movies Chuck!!!
carlene